lunedì 28 marzo 2011

Curio Bay

From the wide window this afternoon I watched the sea, maybe at 20 meters.

Now it's dark and it's really dark.
I left Nick's home and I didn't understand why He kept asking if I had a flashlight. A few meters after his house I bumped into a wall of darkness. Luckily I had the mobile. Obviously there is no network, but it's light enough for me to guess where the road was, and after a few tries I found my home, at the 501 of Curio Bay.
In the sky the Milky Way was as wide as a few times I've seen in my life. Now I have just have a hot shower, I'm writing sitting on the couch next to the heater on, listening to music and going to bed soon. All this for $ 25 nz, about 13 €. This is my accomodation in Curio Bay.

Today I got a lift from 6 cars. A guy in a van from the center of Queenstown to Frankton, a couple of guys to the airport, the Swiss Sonia until the turn for Te Anau, 2 cowboy to the Invercagill downtown, a nice gentleman in his sixties to Fortrose and Nick with her daughter and the dog up to Curio Bay.
During the journey, the mountains have been replaced or rolling hills filled with sheep and cows, and the sun is hidden behind thick black clouds that have brought a cold wind that took you away.
With this wind, I walk through Invercagill to take me on the way to the Catlins and half it started to rain. Time to wolves and few people on the street. I didn't see so well but I chose to go ahead and end Nick brought me here, an hour's drive from the nearest town, where they often come to play with dolphins, seals and sea lions. I had dinner with his family (now a bit 'of fish), Dani, the German Nick's wife, and two sons, we played the guitar, Nick told me about the Japan, we had a great evening. Nick and Dani are amazing.
Tomorrow morning I'm going to see his farm of 600 acres and hope to see some other animal. Traveling alone always brings a lot more adventure.



Dall’ampia vetrata oggi pomeriggio guardavo il mare, forse a 20 metri.



Adesso è buio ed è veramente buio. Ho lasciato casa di Nick e non capivo perché continuava a chiedermi se avevo una torcia. Pochi metri dopo casa sua ho sbattuto contro un muro d’oscurità. Per fortuna avevo il cellulare. Ovviamente non c’è campo, ma fa abbastanza luce da farmi indovinare dov’è la strada, e dopo un paio di tentativi ho trovato il mio appartamento, il 501 di Curio Bay.
In cielo la via lattea era larga come poche volte l’ho vista in vita mia. Adesso sono appena uscito da una doccia calda, sto scrivendo seduto sul divano accanto alla stufa accesa, ascolto musica e tra poco andrò a nanna. Il tutto per 25$nz, circa 13 euro. Questo è il mio appartamento in Curio Bay.



Oggi mi hanno un passaggio in autostop 6 auto. Un tizio con un furgone dal centro di Queenstown fino a Frankton, una coppia di ragazzi fino all’aeroporto, la svizzera Sonia fino alla svolta per Te Anau, 2 cowboy fino al centro di Invercagill, un signore simpatico sulla sessantina fino a Fortrose e Nick con sua figlia e il cane fino a Curio Bay.

Durante il viaggio le montagne hanno lasciato il posto o dolci colline piene di pecore e di mucche, e il sole si è nascosto dietro fitte nuvole nere che si sono portate dietro un vento freddo che ti portava via. Con questo vento ho attraversato Invercagill a piedi per portarmi sulla strada per i Catlins e a metà ha cominciato a piovere.
Tempo da lupi e poca gente per strada. Non la vedevo così bene ma ho scelto di andare avanti e alla fine Nick mi ha portato qui, a un’ora di strada dalla città più vicina, dove spesso vengono a giocare i delfini, le foche e i leoni di mare.



Ho cenato con la sua famiglia (finalmente un po’ di pesce), Dani, la moglie tedesca, e i 2 ragazzi, abbiamo suonato la chitarra, mi ha raccontato del giappone, abbiamo passato una ottima serata. Nick e Dani sono straordinari.
Domattina andrò a vedere la sua fattoria di 600 ettari e spero di vedere qualche altro animale. Viaggiare da soli porta sempre molta più avventura.

1 commento: